A Leadership Cohort Program for Mid-Stage Nonprofit Executive Directors
Catalysts Together by Longwood Foundation is an innovative leadership and capacity-building program that invests in nonprofit executive leaders as the catalysts to strengthen their organizations. Created in collaboration with nonprofit executives, this year-long pilot program equips leaders with the experiences and tools they need to run healthy, sustainable, and mission-driven organizations. Together, with their peers, leaders transform themselves and elevate their organizations to enhance the quality of life for all in our region.
The application window for the inaugural cohort is closed. The next window will open in summer 2024.
Is Catalysts Together Right for You?
Work alongside your peers and drive real, collaborative, and meaningful social change.
This program will challenge leaders to think critically about problems facing their organizations. We are looking for executives who are hungry and committed to making a personal and organizational shift in a highly experiential learning setting. You must lean into growth and demonstrate the ability to model confidentiality and vulnerability with your peers.
The program is open to any leader and organization that fit the criteria, including past and aspiring Longwood Foundation grantees. Ideally, you will have at least 3 years’ experience as a paid Executive Director and manage paid staff.
- The leader must be the current, full-time, paid, Executive Director (or similar title)
- The organization must be a registered 501c(3) that serves the state of Delaware and/or Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
- The organization should ideally have a budget between $500,000 – $5,000,000.
Ask Yourself, Are You Ready To:
- Make the commitment
Convenings and monthly peer forums are in person. You must be able to participate fully in all components of the pilot program, which equates to 7-15 hours per month. An interest in ongoing engagement and networking with your cohort beyond the pilot phase is strongly encouraged.
- Invest in yourself to strengthen your organization
With dedicated time to step back from work, you’ll have the space and support to focus on individual and organizational innovation.
- Contribute to authentic cohort building
You will contribute to and experience proven techniques to earn trust, have authentic conversations, and build community among your peer executives.
- Get rich feedback and accountability from a team of champions
Your peers become trusted partners who help you become more creative, insightful, accountable, and strategic. Your cohort facilitator and coach will also support you in reaching your goals.
- Lean into a responsive and adaptive curriculum
The program features help you make real-time decisions and consider the external realities that require leaders to pivot.
The Selection Process
Will investing in yourself be a catalyst to strengthen your organization? Consider applying today.
Participant selection is a 3-step process that allows us to get to know each other and determine if this program is a mutual fit. The pilot program will accept up to 20 participants who will be placed in two cohort groups.
- Apply by Completing the Application
Please allow yourself two hours to complete the eligibility check and application. We highly recommend you complete the essay questions in advance before submitting the application since you cannot save your progress.
Before you start the application, have the following information available:
- A high-resolution headshot. This does not have to be a professional photo (.jpeg preferred)
- Your Board of Directors contact information. Please include board member names, titles, positions on the board and contact information in a single file (.pdf preferred)
- Essay responses to the following questions:
- Describe your personal and professional journey to achieving your current role. (Limit 300 words)
- We believe that investing in leaders can be a catalyst for strengthening organizations. Why is this the right moment for you to participate in this program? How do you think your participation will enhance your capacity to contribute to the Delaware or Kennett Square, PA nonprofit ecosystem? (Limit 300 words)
- Reflecting on your development needs as a leader and the current state of your organization, what challenge or goal are you most eager to take on for yourself and your organization? What changes do you want to see in one year because of your work in this area? In five years? (Limit 500 words)
- Without naming names, write about a mentor, colleague, or peer that you admire. What qualities do you admire in this person? How do you receive feedback from this person? What do you think this person admires about you? (Limit 300 words)
- If invited, attend a Selection Event.
The Selection Event is an interactive process to highlight your unique qualities and inform the cohort group formations. You should expect to learn more about the program, engage in group activities, and complete an interview.
- If selected, confirm participation.
Congratulations! If you are invited into the pilot program, we will notify you via email and provide further instructions including payment instructions, the scholarship application, and pre-work to prepare for kick-off.
Questions? Email Tamara Brown, Program Officer, Leader Capacity at email@example.com